Monday, February 19, 2007

Missing Hong Kong

Now we've been home for two months, about as long as we were in Hong Kong. We were very ready to leave, but now I find myself missing Hong Kong. Here are some of the things that I miss...

Houseplants living in the wild, escaped from their containers.



Riding the D.C. metro to and from work every day, I miss the clean and efficient MTR. When I walk past a construction site, I miss the crazy and daring bamboo scaffolding of Hong Kong.



I miss the daily bang of the noon day gun


And living next door to a barely recognizable KFC that delivers to your door





What must be the most determined tree roots in the world



And parks sprinkled with tai chi and kids


And old men - where were the old women?


And parks that saved the tree when building the fence


And houseboats and fishing boats right downtown in Causeway Bay



This one's a water taxi


These are in Stanley Harbour


I miss that feeling of being a guest in a place that you can never really understand. I passed this place every day and never figured out what any of the food was or why that woman was chopping big sticks and putting them out for sale. I guess we'll need to return some day...


No comments: